Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Windows XP Pro and ICMP Source Quench

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 19:00:35 -0700
Using various Wireshark's various tcp.analysis expressions I've discovered that it is not uncommon for the Live Communications Server 2005 to transmit data to a Windows XP client faster than the latter can transfer data to the application. It's unclear whether its simply that Office Communicator 2005 can't keep up or if it is the result of other activity on the client system.

Does the Windows XP TCP/IP protocol stack transmit ICMP Source Quench packets when it is in danger of exhausting its buffer space?

I didn't find any ICMP Source Quench packets in the traffic that I had captured. If it doesn't, everything is fine. :\ If it does, I may need to search for a network device that is overly zealous in filtering ICMP packets. :-(

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx