Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Filtering ICMP Packets Based onIP Addresses in the ICMP Pa

From: "Sake Blok" <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:43:30 +0200
In an earlier mail you said:

"The problem that is being investigated only occurs with
clients that connect to the server over a WAN.  Clients connecting to
the server over a LAN do not experience the problem."

Combined with the fact that you see a TCP reset on the events that you are investigating leads me to believe the problem lies in devices that keep session state (firewalls, IDP, Loadbalancers, etc). Every device that keeps session states has a mechanism to flush old sessions, otherwise their table would grow forever. Usually they clear out sessions that have been idle for certain amount of time. Idle being that no network traffic has been seen for that session (in some protocols the user may be idle, but network traffic is still present for the session). Other devices use an absolute timer for sessions (a mamimum time that a session may live, even when it's active), however, I have not seen this much.

If a session is flushed from the device and a new packet of that session is sent by the client or the server, it will be discarded or rejected and the intermediate device might send a reset. If it is the server sending the reset, then somehow the session was dropped on the server, instead of an intermediate device.

Now back to your original question, if you use the filter "icmp and ip.addr==x.x.x.x", it will give you all packets originating from or destined to x.x.x.x, but also all icmp packets in which the ip header in the payload contains ip address x.x.x.x. There is however no way to restric the filter to show *only* packets where x.x.x.x is in the icmp payload.

I attached a small capture file in which this can be seen, use the filter "icmp and ip.addr==194.134.5.5". The trace contains a traceroute from 192.168.1.46 to 194.134.5.5.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
    Sake

----- Original Message ----- From: "Merton Campbell Crockett" <m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>