Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Ethernet LMI decoding with Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:01:20 -0700

On May 22, 2009, at 8:18 AM, Florin Bercea wrote:

I would like to ask if Wireshark has the Ethernet LMI protocol (MEF 16) included in the list of supported protocols.

To quote my reply to your previous mail asking this:

Not everybody necessarily knows what "MEF 16" is, and might not know what "LMI" is.

Presumably "MEF" is the Metro Ethernet Forum, and LMI is the Local Management Interface, and MEF 16 is

		http://www.iometrix.com/site/pdfs/MEF16EthernetLocalManagementInterface.pdf

According to that document, the Ethertype is E-LMI is 88EE; we don't have a dissector that handles that Ethertype value.

A shorter version of that answer is "no, it isn't a protocol Wireshark knows".