Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] want to capture PPP packets over RS232 Line.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:45:45 -0700

On May 17, 2009, at 7:35 PM, amit gombi wrote:

On Mon, 18 May 2009 Guy Harris wrote :

>On May 16, 2009, at 10:28 PM, sameer patil wrote:
>
>> I am working on embedded project which has TCP/IP/PPP stack. I want to connect my ARM based microcontroller to the serial port of my PC and use wireshark to capture PPP packets.
>
>I assume Wireshark is running on the PC.
>
>So are you using PPP to communicate between the microcontroller and the PC (so that the serial port is being used as a network connection), or are you using PPP to communicate between the microcontroller and some other machine, with the PC being used to passively capture PPP packets going between the microcontroller and that other machine?
>
>And if you're using PPP to communicate between the PC and the microcontroller, what version of what operating system is the PC running?

hello,
I am using windows XP SP2 .there is only one PC and one microcontroller connected through RS232 Port so serial port is being used as a network connection. I am unable to know should i use full modem cable ?

Use whatever cable is necessary to make the connection work. Are the microcontroller and the Windows machine successfully communicating over TCP/IP?

and what should be the baud rate and other serial port settings?

The baud rate and other serial port settings should be whatever they need to be to make the connection work.

i am using "adapter for general dial-up and VPN capture"as my interface.