Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problem Installing Wireshark and WinPcap

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:08:12 -0400
Habib Habib wrote:
Hello everyone,

First, excuse me from my earlier message, I sent it by mistake.

I tried to install Wireshark 1.0.7 on my Windows Vista using the windows
installer. When it got to the WinPcap installation phase, an error message
appeared:

"An error occured while installing the Microsoft Network Monitor Driver
(NetMon) (0x800F0203).
You will be able to use WinPcap on standard network adapters, but not on
Dialup connections and VPNs.
Please contact the WinPcap team <winpcap-team@xxxxxxxxxxx>.
The installation will now continue."

Then, after restarting my computer, and opening Wireshark, the following
error message appeared:

"This application has failed to start NPPTools.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

Then, I downloaded WinPcap alone, and installed it. It detected that I
already have it installed, so i forced the installation.
I then opened Wireshark, this time the window opened, but with an error
message (again):

"The NPF driver isn't running. You may have trouble capturing or listing
interfaces".

And indeed, there were no interface to select. What do you think should be
done to solve this problem. I am using Windows Vista SP1 (32-bit) on an HP
Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC and I am planning on capturing from my wifi
interface. Thank you.

1. I don't know what the issues were with installing WinPcap and
   whether those issues might now cause problems running Wireshark.

2. That being said, Wireshark needs privileges to be able to capture.
   See http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup for lots of information.
   See especially Step 2: Capture Privileges.

3. For information about using Wireshark to capture Wireless traffic,
   please see http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN .