Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Packets arrive to wireshark but they don’t arrive to my applic

From: Boaz Galil <boaz20@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 20:18:55 +0300

Dear experts,

I run 3rd party application that communication with CTI server. For some reason from time to time the 3rd party application failed to receive the keep alive messages from the CTI server.

Part of my troubleshooting I installed wireshark (latest version for win2003 sp2) on the 3rd party server and I do see the packets (keep alive packets) in the wireshark.

So now I need to troubleshoot the reason why the packets don’t arrive to my application:

1.       How does the wireshark gets the packet – I understand it’s using Winpcap but can you give me some more information about it?

2.       What could be the reason for the 3rd party application not to get the packets? Can you give us some direction on how to troubleshoot? how to know where the packet stuck or discart (I guess somewhere between where the wireshark looks to where my 3rd application).