Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Simultaneous Captures - Matching Packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:50:10 -0700

On Apr 23, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Samson Martinez wrote:

Brand-new subscriber to this user-list – long time user of Wireshark. I’ve been trying to determine the easiest method for matching up packets that have been simultaneously captured on two systems and I thought, it appears erroneously, that all the info in the packets would match, including sequence numbers, etc.

For example, I took simultaneous captures on two separate servers (Solaris servers using snoop) and then loaded both files into Wireshark to compare. I used the timestamps & IP Identification field to match up packets. However, the sequence numbers don’t match up. Is this normal?

By "sequence numbers" are you referring to TCP sequence numbers, the numbers in the "No." column in the display, or some other sequence numbers?