Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 700 Meg File Wireshark 1.0.7 - Wireshark hangs

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:05:30 +0200
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:57:26PM +0200, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
> >
> >> r27396 [1] is eating a lot of memory :)
> >
> > Is there a bug filed on that?
>
> It's a simple consequence of having this feature. Ripping out the feature would
> solve it, of course. Or have the callback mechanism to construct the strings
> upon request.

I would vote for constructing the strings upon request. I see no use in
keeping all filter strings for all columns of all rows in the tracefile,
just to keep them handy for the time when "copy as filter" is used (if
it is used at all in the packet-list).

But being able to use it on the packet-list too, is a handy feature...

Cheers,
     Sake