Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP/IP book

From: Priscilla Oppenheimer <po@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:52:08 -0700
I just used TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 today! It's a bit dated, of course. For example, it talks about TOS and Precedence instead of DSCP and ECN. I would still recommend it though.

Sometimes I actually go to my book case when I don't trust the various websites. In this case, I was listening to an audio class that I'm supposed to teach soon, and the instructor claimed that the IP checksum doesn't cover the TTL field since that field changes a lot. I googled and checked various websites and none of them gave me the feeling that the author really knew and wasn't just copying and pasting from other sites. So I reached for my TCP/IP Illustrated. (By the way, the entire IP header is covered by the checksum, including the TTL. This does mean routers have to re-calculate it, but I'm pretty sure that they do that. At least that's what I got from a quick check of TCP/IP Illustrated.)

Other good books include:

Comer, Internetworking with TCP/IP
Forouzan, TCP/IP Protocol Suite
Kurose, Computer Networking