Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] HOW TO Detect Packet Loss, Jitter and Delay with Tshark UDP, R

From: H Aslam <hassan-aslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:18:12 +0200

I'm streaming a video sequence via VLC using UDP and port 1234 and I'm trying to detect packet loss, jitter and delay.

Following is the command issued while trying to detect these parameters.

tshark -i 6 -a duration:10  -d udp.port==1234,rtp -z rtp,streams

I'm using WANem to emulate packet loss, jitter and delay. (-- If you know any other packet emulator program please don't hesitate to let me know)

But I can't seem to detect anything besides the packet loss. Tshark is necessary as I am running it on a embedded linux.

When I use wireshark on a windows xp machine and decode the captured udp packets to rtp in the "Analyze -> Decode as" menu I can see some Jitter (ms) and Delta (ms) for each packet in the "Statistics -> RTP -> Stream Analysis" menu. But when I choose the "Statistics -> RTP -> Show All Streams" menu I can't see the Max Delta, MAX Jitter and Mean Jitter. These just show zero. I believe that the "Show All Streams" menu corresponds to the tshark command as stated above.

How can I use TSHARK to show the correct statistics??

One more question: I have installed a tshark rpm on my embedded linux which doesn't seem to have the -z rtp,streams option (It has the "-z" option but not the "rtp,streams") as I think it is a old version of tshark. Do I have to find a newer version or can i add the option to tshark somehow???

Thanks in advance!

What can you do with the new Windows Live? Find out