Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] adding MIB files

From: Stuart Kendrick <skendric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 07:12:11 -0700
does anyone have the MIB compiler working?

i'm running WireShark 1.0.7 under Windows ... and am trying to add some portion of my ~2000 MIB file collection

-i've configured Preferences:Open a console window to 'Always(debugging') ... but i haven't seen an error message in the console window yet

-i've played with Preferences:Name Resolution:SMI (MIB and PIB) paths, adding directories in which I've installed MIB files (i've tried both relative directory names, aka Broadcom, Dell, Intel, as well as fully-qualified names: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wireshark\snmp\mibs\Broadcom, C:\Program Files (x86)\Wireshark\snmp\mibs\Dell ...

-i've tried copying MIB files into C:\Program Files (x86)\Wireshark\snmp\mibs and then adding them using Preferences:Name Resolution: SMI (MIB and PIB) modules

-and i've even tried specifying a non-existent MIB files ('foo') using Preferences:Name Resolution: SMI (MIB and PIB) modules ... minimally, i would have expected an error in the console window, something like "unable to find MIB module 'foo'" ... but no, a serenely peaceful and solidly black console window

after each effort, i closed Wireshark, reopened it, verified that my Preferences changes had stuck, and then opened a trace file full of SNMP Gets and Responses ... and have seen no change in the translation of Broadcom, Dell, or Intel enterprise OIDs

perhaps this feature isn't implemented yet? or perhaps it doesn't propagate errors to the console yet?

--sk

stuart kendrick
fred hutchinson cancer research center
seattle, wa usa