Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Filter for DNS tcp flags?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:43:11 -0400
Also: For future reference:

You can determine the "filter name" of any particular field by clicking on the field in the Packet Details window and then looking on the left-hand side of the status bar (at the bottom) to see the field name.

EG: for a frame with a DNS "no such name" reply, expand the Flags field within the DNS payload, then click on the 'Reply Code' line to see the name of the field at tyhe botton of the screen.

In addition you can right-click on the field and then select 'Apply as Filter --> Selected' to filter for that value in that field.

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

You're confused. It's dns.flags what you're looking for.
In fact "dns.flags.rcode == 3" is what you want to use as display filter.

Thanx,
Jaap