Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] unable to see radiotap header

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 00:00:03 -0700

On Apr 7, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Aneeq Mahmood wrote:

my kernel is 2.6.24-16 generic

At least in the source to the 2.6.24.2 kernel I downloaded from kernel.org, the hostap driver doesn't appear to support radiotap headers. If that's the case, you will not be able to get radiotap headers from your adapter, as the software doesn't support it. ("iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" isn't guaranteed to turn on radiotap headers - especially if the driver for the adapter is incapable of generating radiotap headers; it just puts the adapter into monitor mode, which might have no radio header, or might have the Prism or AVS radio header rather than the radiotap header.)