Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capture file cut short in the middle of a packet

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:20:45 -0600
On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:22:04AM -0700, Condor Kim wrote:

> i use eee pc 900a with linux. lately whenever i tried to save the
> capture file after an internet session, i often got the message pop-up
> "the capture file appears to have been cut short in the middle of a
> packet." what does this mean?

Does this happen right after you save and/or when you open the file
later?  Once you save, Wireshark reopens the capture from the saved
file, so you may be seeing it both times.

It means that the file is corrupt in a certain way.

What version of Wireshark are you running?  Does this problem happen on
the most recent version of Wireshark?

Steve