Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Get the FCS in a Ethernet Frame, modify the adapter's drivers

From: CeSaR PrAdOs <bradomyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:03:12 +0200
Hi,

I'm involved in a project where we're working with 802.1q frames, and we're testing the system. For this purpose I'd like to check the CRC, since where planning to stress the network in all the ways. I've already read about the FCS in the FAQ: Q 7.10: How can I capture entire frames, including the FCS? get it!!!

I cannot get the FCS from the ethernet frame, and even worst I cannot get the frames with invalid checksum, and it's just what I want:

Monitoring :
- FCS frames
- FCS frames with invalid checksum

but somehow I need to read the FCS!!!

The adapter is the Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter and OS is either Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7 / Linux 2.6.24.23 or Fedora, and I have the adapter's drivers source, so I guess that I could modify the driver to allow the OS get the FCS, I think that would be doable, but from the OS part I have no clue how I can proceed, How can I say to the OS pick also the FCS.

If someone has the experience to guide I'd be so grateful,

Cheers,

Cesar