Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Conflicker GenB! Killed Wireshark

From: "Deneen Wardell" <dwardell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:18:13 -0500
I have a client that did not keep up with the updates on a Windows 2000 server and was infected a couple of weeks ago with the Conficker GenB! virus.  The server had WireShark Installed on it and it appears that the virus killed it.  When they told me it had problems I tried to run WireShark it would just come up with a the splash screen showing "Initializing dissectors..." and it would do nothing else.  I cannot do anything with it.  If I try to right click on the button in the status line and close it, it will simply tells me that the program is not responding.  The only way to clear it is to reboot the machine.  I tried uninstalling the older version and installing the newest release, but it reacts the same way.

I didn't get the possible connection between the virus and the failure until I saw the news release that said Conficker was attacking WireShark.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks