Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark and firewall rules

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:27:01 -0400
Hi,

You may want to look into CACE tech Pilot program. It's designed to work with Wireshark for such large capture analysis.

Thanx,
Jaap

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 mrt 2009, at 20:55, "John Kaberna" <jkaberna@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone. I urgently need to find the best way to have Wireshark tell me the ports/protocols on the network so I can tighten down some firewall rules. I have a Span port on the firewall and am able to do a trace. Since there are batch jobs and other things that happen only once a day, I had to let a trace run for 24 hours.

The issue I have is that there were a million packets. Even if I look at conversations, there is simply too much to review. Is there a way within Wireshark or using a separate 3rd party application, free or paid, that can easily take these traces and just tell me source IP, destination IP, protocol, and destination port? I don’t want to see an HTTP conversation that occurred 500 times between 2 h osts. I just need to note it one time for the firewall rules.

I don’t have much recent experience with Wireshark as I am primarily a network designer. I apologize in advance if this has been asked many times, but I didn’t find anything in the archives yet.

John Kaberna