Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark and firewall rules

From: "John Kaberna" <jkaberna@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:55:11 -0700

Hi everyone.  I urgently need to find the best way to have Wireshark tell me the ports/protocols on the network so I can tighten down some firewall rules.  I have a Span port on the firewall and am able to do a trace.  Since there are batch jobs and other things that happen only once a day, I had to let a trace run for 24 hours.

The issue I have is that there were a million packets.  Even if I look at conversations, there is simply too much to review.  Is there a way within Wireshark or using a separate 3rd party application, free or paid, that can easily take these traces and just tell me source IP, destination IP, protocol, and destination port?  I don’t want to see an HTTP conversation that occurred 500 times between 2 hosts.  I just need to note it one time for the firewall rules.

I don’t have much recent experience with Wireshark as I am primarily a network designer.  I apologize in advance if this has been asked many times, but I didn’t find anything in the archives yet.

John Kaberna