Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireless Sniffer

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:31:21 -0700

On Mar 22, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Dani Camps wrote:

I have an IBM T43 laptop with Linux on it and an Intel 2915a/b/g WiFi chipset. I can put the wireless interface in monitor mode and then I see using wireshark all the Layer 2 (802.11) traffic going on on my wireless network. However, when I examine a captured packet wireshark stops at layer 2, so I can not see the higher layer info (TCP, UDP ,...).

What do you mean by "stops at layer 2"? Do you mean that you see the 802.11 header, but everything above the 802.11 header is dissected as data rather than as whatever protocol it might be?