Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] "Top Talkers" using Wireshark?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:39:32 +0100
Hi,

You can do a capture and then use the options in the Statistics menu.
But beware, Wireshark is a deep packet inspection tool, not a statistical network monitor. It won't survive massive capture sessions. What you can do is look into ntop. It does capture traffic for statistical analysis. If you still want to use Wireshark, you may want to look into Pilot, be CACE tech, even though this is payed for software.

Thanx,
Jaap

Shannon Adams wrote:
I have been reviewing the Network Instruments Observer product and the most useful feature for me is the "Top Talkers" screen. I can start a packet capture and sort by total bytes or packets.
I just discovered and installed Wireshark this morning, but I cannot seem to locate a "Top Talkers" type tool.  If I it has that, it would save me a small fortune in having to purchase a license for Network Observer.  Does Wireshark have this feature?  If so, can someone please lead me in the right direction on how to use it?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon