Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Slow gigabit network

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:34:56 +1100
Scott Chapman wrote:
> I have experimented with forcing 1000/full explicitly on both sides with
> out any effect.

Join the thousands who have not read
http://www.ieee802.org/3/interp/interp-2-0705.pdf which says 1000BASE-T
MUST be autonegotiated.

Quoting in part:

... selecting 1000BASE-T mode of operation still requires that
Auto-Negotiation be used. This can be accomplished by continuing to use
Auto-Negotiation while limiting the advertising to 1000BASE-T capabilities.

The last bit means you can force 1000 by having one or both ends
advertise 1000 only.

Now if only I could convince the people at work who specify all ports be
configured 1000/Full to read that.

                -- Dr. Who