Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Slow gigabit network

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:14:01 -0400
At 02:11 PM 3/7/2009, Scott Chapman wrote:
>Actually I know the cables are OK because I have used the intel drivers to validate the cables. All indications (lights on cards, and switch), along with diagnostics in the drivers, all indicate gigabit full duplex
>
>I am not using a managed switch, so I can't get any info from it.
>
>I have also used iPerf which shows me similar results.

How can the NIC test the quality of the cable?  The link pulse used by auto-negotiation does not require stringent cabling specs.  It'll run on just about any type of cable.

How are you copying the files?  And how far apart are these machines.  It sounds like they are on the same switch, but wanted to make sure.

If you captured the traffic, does the display filter "tcp.analysis.flags" show anything of interest?

hsb