Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Link quality tests/analysis?

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:36:24 -0400
At 08:39 PM 1/28/2009, rkruz@xxxxxxx wrote:
>thats some great insight.  Thanks!
>I had no idea errored frames were not mirrored.  Would inserting a "hub" in the link and then to Wireshark allow me to see the errored frames.?
>
>What else do mirrored ports NOT pass that are on the original port?
>
>on RTT.  There is a filter for send and response to a message from  an IP address.  WIth ping, couldnt I filter just the ping send/rcv data, export to a spreadsheet and determine the RTT by subtracting the times of send and receive?

Sorry for the late reply.  I've been pretty booked up!  Inserting a hub (if you can find one, they are much harder to find as most 'hubs' are really cheap switches) would allow you to see the errors.  But these days, you won't find too many issues with cabling plants.

you can use ping request/reply to chart the RTT.

hsb