Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] IPv6 Interface

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:53:23 -0800

On Mar 6, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Michael Margulies wrote:

Yes, sorry for not being specific, the physical interface is ethernet.
The ethernet card always shows up in the capture interface dialog box.
When the tcp/ipv4 stack is enabled, the ipv4 ip address for my laptop is shown. When the tcp/ipv4 stack is disabled, but the tcp/ipv6 is enabled, the ip address is listed as unknown. I'm interpreting this as Wireshark
not recognizing the ipv6 interface for some reason.

Not necessarily. It could be that, for example, WinPcap can't get the IPv6 address for the interface and supply it to Wireshark (Wireshark depends on libpcap/WinPcap to do a lot of the work of dealing with network adapters). Gianluca?