Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] A simple question about Wireshark: confusion about OICQ pr

From: wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:16:51 +0100
Hello,

If you look at "Analyze / Enabled Protocols ...", you have the list of protocols known by wireshark.
I do NOT see any Thunder protocol.
It could have another name or simply wireshark do NOT know it.

NB: you can disable a protocol in this window.

If Thunder use the same udp port as OICQ (= 8000 inside wireshark code),
you can see Thunder packets as OICQ packets.

Olivier

Adele a �crit :

Dear all,

Here I have a very detailed question and I would like to thank you all for your help in advance.

Some background information first:

Thunder is a very popular P2P file downloading software in China and it is not open sourced. Recently I have been doing some protocol analysis experiments about Thunder by Wireshark. Experiment descriptions are as follows:

Experiment 1 : Close other applications and run Thunder------I will get a lot of packets with the protocol name as OICQ. (OICQ is a very popular IM soft ware in china but actually during this experiment I did not open it).

Experiment 2: keeping all other setting unchanged, I close Thunder, immediately after experiment 1---------Here I did not get any OICQ packets anymore.

Actually I have talk to some guys who work in OICQ company and according to them, Thunder and OICQ are competitors and there are not any co-operations between them. So I am really confused that how I can capture OICQ packets from Thunder while the OICQ is not running. Therefore, if it is possible, may I ask how Wireshark works and decide a packet is an OICQ packet? I mean, besides of the UDP port, are there any other ways for Wireshark to categorise a packet to be an OICQ packet?

Actually I am really confused here and your help will be really appreciated for me.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

Adele JIA