Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to find out the current locally installed version of W

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:13:52 -0800
Ben Stover wrote:
> I somehow guess that WinPCap is already installed on a certain local computer (under WinXP+SP3).
>
> How can I find out if WinPCap is installed and if yes which version?
>
> Is WinPCap implemented as a DLL or as a SYS driver?

You might try the registry:

C:\>reg query
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WinPcapInst

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WinPcapInst
    DisplayName    REG_SZ    WinPcap 4.1 beta4
    UninstallString    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\WinPcap\uninstall.exe
    Publisher    REG_SZ    CACE Technologies
    URLInfoAbout    REG_SZ    http://www.cacetech.com
    URLUpdateInfo    REG_SZ    http://www.winpcap.org
    VersionMajor    REG_SZ    4
    VersionMinor    REG_SZ    1
    DisplayVersion    REG_SZ    4.1.0.1237

Wireshark's installer uses UninstallString, DisplayName, and DisplayVersion:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/packaging/nsis/wireshark.nsi

--
Join us for Sharkfest’09  |  Stanford University, June 15 – 18
http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/