Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] IEEE 1394 interface packet sniffing?

From: Bob Gustafson <bobgus@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:43:43 -0600

On Feb 20, 2009, at 12:02, Guy Harris wrote:

On Feb 20, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Bob Gustafson wrote:

I have firewire on two Fedora 10 boxes, but the balky problem is on a
Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP SP3 (Sony iLink..)

I.e., you have IEEE 1394 on three machines, two of which call it
FireWire because they're not from Sony and one of which calls it
i.Link because it's from Sony. :-)

I forgot that we have a couple of Apple Macs with firewire too.

An external fw disk label is recognized, but then nothing deeper. I
was
hoping to watch what was happening. I can attach the disk to either
the
Fedora 10 system or the Windows XP Vaio - problem seems the same on
both.

So are you seeing the same problem on the Fedora 10 machines and the
Windows XP machine - in which case a mechanism that lets you capture
IEEE 1394 traffic on Linux, or one that lets you capture it on Windows
XP, would work - or are you seeing it only on the Windows machine?

Seems like both Linux and Windows have the problem. Actually, I think the problem is with the external disk, but it just showed up yesterday and I haven't spent much time on it. Computer sees only disk name, but no contents.