Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Support for using back reference with RegExp on Display Filter

From: oni seco <ofinono@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 02:47:32 +0200
Hi

There's a certain scenario that we want to know in our company.
It's when a user defines a week password.
Pass is sent in plain text and the following is just an example:
-----

Http header
get /user_registration.php?user=John&pass=45John23

------

if i set the display filter to - data.data contains
"user=(.{1,7})&pass=.{0,5}\1.{0,5}="
(which basically searches for the username in the password field)
the example won't show up.
looking for - data.data contains "user=(.{1,7})&pass=.{0,5}John.{0,5}="
will show the example so i'm worried that it's either:
1. syntax - using "\1" here is wrong
2. lack of support for back reference on the PCBE engine.

i'm using wireshark 1.0.6 on win32. tried also 1.1.2 with no success

Thx,
Ivan