Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on wireshark capture in Wi-Fi network

From: "matt roberts" <k141@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:00:30 -0800
I guess not every device works well in monitor mode; I used 3 different wireless adapters and 2 of them (belkin and dlink) were missing between 30% to 60% of the frames, the last one (linksys) misses about 5%. The computer I am monitoring is 2 feet from the monitoring device, same room, same desk. I haven't tried using those antenna gain adapters, they may help; none of the devices I tried were responding to iwconfig sensitivity commands which I hoped would boost the receiving sensitivity. If the beacon frames are somehow causing a problem, you could try to increase the beacon period on the AP, if this is configurable on your AP. If you are only looking at a particular channel you could set your monitoring device to that channel only (iwconfig <dev> mode monitor channel <x>) and see if that helps.

It was not wireshark's fault, when I switched from wireless monitoring to ethernet card monitoring I got 100% of the packets I expected.

Mattr.