Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark & monitoring in the enterprise environment

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 04:56:33 -0700
Hi Martin, To answer your questions (and again, note this only applies to high-frequency algo-type trading and microsecond/millisecond analysis)
"Sure, latency monitoring using Wireshark wouldn't do, however, AFAIU,
monitoring of the throughput - say with a window 1 sec long - may work, no?"
1 sec these days is the equivalent of 10 seconds polling a few years ago. If your polling rate is every 10seconds or 30seconds, what happens to peaks of traffics within those seconds? They are not reported. Similarly, with 1sec polling, you don't see a spike that lasts 100milliseconds or 100microseconds. On a particular service we use, spikes at this time scale are told to go from ~6mbps to +110mbps.

"As for the cards, I recall Endace claiming microsecond (or even lower)
granularities. Does it mean that when using Wireshark for the analysis
of the capured data, microseconds are simply stripped off?"
In fact, I recall some partnership between CACE and Endace recently been announced (I'm sure some people on this list know more about this). I wonder if this relationship has advantages for CACE's capture card which seems very good for the asking price. I'm assuming that with a capture card (such as endace's) providing a very low time granularity, results are more accurate. However, I am not sure at which point within the OS wireshark makes a record of the packets. Kernel, server load, disk access etc. all play a part when trying to capture details at this level. The solutions that promise to provide 100% accuracy at this level are unfortunately very expensive at this stage. For those of us with a budget to consider we try and come up with a compromise or alternative solution. Considering it's free, wireshark has been, and still is, a fantastic tool. Again, I think your article serves a good purpose, just keep in mind the outcome you are looking for. The limitation is not within your explanation, but rather within the tools available.

Cheers,

Message: 8