Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] can't capture on my linux

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:49:07 -0800

On Feb 2, 2009, at 7:38 PM, Condor Kim wrote:

Hello everyone. i installed wireshark /ethereal on my little asus eee pc with linux xandros. however, when i start wireshark, and open "options" under "capture", i see no listing in the "interface" drop down list. i then typed the command "wireshark -D" and i got the response "there is no interfaces on which capture can be done"????

what do i do?

Type "sudo tcpdump -D" and see what it does.

If it doesn't let you do "sudo", type "su" and, when you get a root prompt after typing the root password, type "tcpdump -D" and see what it does.

If it lists some or all of the adapters, try running Wireshark as root. Capturing packets tends to require root privileges by default; making the "dumpcap" program installed as part of wireshark set-UID root could help (so you don't have to run a big program such as Wireshark or TShark as root).