Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Counting no of hops to remote IP address?

From: "James Talbut" <James.Talbut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:04:45 -0000

Do you have control of (or access to) the remote machine?

If you do, then you can use wireshark to find out the TTL on every packet that leaves that machine, then on your local machine you can use wireshark to find the TTL of packets received from that machine – the difference is the number of hops.

If you don’t have control of the remote machine you can try googling for the default TTL for the OS on that box, and if you don’t know the OS you can work on the assumption that the default TTL is a power of 2.

Of course, if there is something like a NAT in the way then you can’t do it.

Jim