Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Link quality tests/analysis?

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:25:06 -0500
At 03:35 PM 1/27/2009, rkruz@xxxxxxx wrote:

I could use some hints.

I have a single link between host router/switches and host with several miles between the routers (fiber optic). This is TCP/IP data. I'd like to measure or analyze the quality of the link. I could mirror a port with Wireshark on each router for both ends.

After reviewing Wireshark some notions I had are:

A) Checksum: Run applications from host, capture all data and analyse captured data at far end for "Checksum" errors to create a close estimate of Bit Error Rate by counting total packets to packets w/Checksum errors. This with checksum offloading off.

Won't work. There are no modern switches that will mirror errored frames (Cabletron MMAC's being the last ones that had this option) So you will never see frame level errors. What you will see are packet losses but that can happen due to queue starvation, buffer overruns etc. What routers do you have? Assuming Cisco, you'll be much better off doing sho commands "sho controller..." "sho int..." to find pertinent error stats.

B) Round Trip Time (RTT): Send continuous ping from host, capture lots of data and analyze RTT times. I could do this by exporting data and using a spreadsheet to analyze. Does Wireshark do this already? It doesnt look like the Service Response Time feature would do this.

There are RTT graphs and various other methods of getting this info. But unless you suspect problems, you may be spinning your wheels looking for too much information. If you have a Cisco router, you could enable IP SLA and monitor the RTT. It's not accurate to microsecond granularity, but I don't think you're looking for that level.

Are you having some performance issues that you are trying to resolve?