Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Link quality tests/analysis?

From: <rkruz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:35:50 -0500

I could use some hints.

I have a single link between host router/switches and host with several miles between the routers (fiber optic). This is TCP/IP data. I'd like to measure or analyze the quality of the link. I could mirror a port with Wireshark on each router for both ends.

After reviewing Wireshark some notions I had are:

A) Checksum: Run applications from host, capture all data and analyse captured data at far end for "Checksum" errors to create a close estimate of Bit Error Rate by counting total packets to packets w/Checksum errors. This with checksum offloading off.

B) Round Trip Time (RTT): Send continuous ping from host, capture lots of data and analyze RTT times. I could do this by exporting data and using a spreadsheet to analyze. Does Wireshark do this already? It doesnt look like the Service Response Time feature would do this.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated

.