Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] DNS Working but can't connect to anything

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:24:50 -0500
staedtlerx wrote:
I've attached tracert packets - seems to be the same as pinging:

Unable to resolve target system name google.com <http://google.com>.

Hmm, I see a netbios name query in there. If you do an "ipconfig /all" what do you see for the node type?

Do you see "Node Type . . . . . . : Peer-Peer" It should say "UNKNOWN" since you are not supposed to be using P-Type (WINS resolution, IIRC, it's been a long time)

If so, you have to delete keys NodeType and DhcpNodeType in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters

Easy enough to check and it sorta/kinda fits the symptoms. You are only expecting an answer from WINS so it shuts down the DNS query on src port 50317 (the port your PC picked when it sent the query out).

--

Thanks,
Hansang