Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark & Port Mirroring Confusion

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:34:40 +1100
I think the answer is probably self-explantory when you think about it.

Firstly  a RTT of 0.1 ms is very small. To expect a timestamp resolution at this level,  is actually pretty difficult (and in fact I don't you get much better than about 20ms on a Windows box).  I am actually surprised you even can trust a resolution less than 1ms, as I thought the Linux "tick" or "Hz" value was no faster than 1000. This means that interrupts aren't processed more often than 1000 times a second, or every 1ms. But maybe I am wrong about that. (I am normally concerned about WAN performance issues so anything much less than 50ms doesn't interest me).

Secondly, the port mirror is basically a function where the switch is sending an extra copy of the monitored traffic to the monitor port. Thus the switch sees and copies your request a non-zero time *after* your PC sends it, and copies the response *before* it reaches your PC. The switch needs to calculate frame check sequence and as well as determine the correct output port. So if both PCs you are pinging between are on the same switch, then the switch is infact in the middle. So I would expect it to have a different time, and probably going to be smaller. Also as far as I know, no vemdor, Cisco including, makes any specification of how well it preserves timing of port mirror data. In fact, if you monitor multiple ports simulateously, it *will* have to interleave data (if it on the monitored ports packets are received at the same time), and hence timing will be different.

I wouldn't consider this a bug, more you are seeing the effects of the actual function in real-time.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx