Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] sniffing with an inline laptop

From: Steve Bertrand <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:21:51 -0500
Kent Tenney wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I currently carry a hub and laptop with Wireshark for troubleshooting devices.
>
> I sometimes wish I could just inline my laptop using the builtin ethernet jack
> and a usb->ethernet, sniffing on the way through.
>
> Is this a feasible setup?

Yes. You will want to ensure that your laptop, and USB to Ethernet
adaptor can handle the traffic load you are trying to pass through it.
ie, if you are bridging a link that normally carries 300Mbps over a NIC
capable of 100Mbps, you will cause problems.

Based on the fact you normally implement a hub, I suspect that the above
won't apply.

> If so, what do you call it,

Ethernet bridging.

> any pointers to resources
> to help learn how to configure it?

Go to google.ca, and type in the following:

ethernet bridge howto os

...where 'os' == your Operating System.

Steve