Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing 802.11 RSSI and TX Rate Values Using Ubuntu Linu

From: "Tal Rusak" <tr76@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:21:12 -0500 (EST)
     I am trying to capture RSSI values and TX rates for an 802.11 network
in Wireshark under Ubuntu.
     I was using
ifconfig wlan0 down
iw dev wlan0 interface add mon0 type monitor
ifconfig mon0 up

which was working as desired for a while, as suggested on this list.
However, now I am only picking up packets of type "Other" when sniffing on
mon0. Why is this the case, and how can I correct it?
     Thanks for your help in advance.

Tal

>      Yes, I was capturing on wlan0. I created the monitor (using wlan0
> instead of wmaster0 in the first command, though) and it seemed to
capture RSSI and TX rate as desired.
>      ifconfig -a has eth0, lo, mon0, pan0, wlan0, and wmaster0, with much
> information about these.
>
> Thanks,
> Tal
>

>> On Dec 29, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Tal Rusak wrote:
>>
>>>     For TCP packets, which I am interested in:
>>> Frame #
>>> Ethernet II
>>> Internet Protocol
>>> Transmission Control Protocol
>>>     I hope this answers your question.
>>
>> Yes.  You're probably capturing on the wlan0 interface, which supplies
fake Ethernet headers.  There might also be a wmaster0 device, which
supplies 802.11 headers, but without the radio information.  (What's
the output of "ifconfig -a"?)