Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Unable to decode WPA2

From: "Soh Kam Yung" <sohkamyung@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:44:37 +0800
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Matt Roberts <k141@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have spent countless hours trying to decode my own traffic using WPA2 and
> I need some help.
>
> My WPA2-PSK passphrase is "testpass". This is what I enter on my router
> configuration and my PC. I can connect to the internet no problem.
> My SSID is "globul".
>
> When I sniff the traffic I see the 4 EAPOL entries. I can't figure out what
> to put in the wireshark 802.11 preference. I tried:
>
> wpa-pwd:testpass:globul
>
> That didn't decrypt anything.
>  [...]

Did you capture the initial (EAPOL) 4-Way Pairwise handshake, which
usually happens immediately after you have associated with the
network?

That handshake contains additional information required to decode the
WPA2-PSK encrypted traffic.

The passphrase alone is not enough to decode WPA2-PSK traffic (which
is why WPA2 is more secure than WEP).

Regards,
Kam-Yung
--