Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark on Ubuntu with IWL3945 captures only management

From: "puller puller" <puller86@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:27:57 +0100

2008/12/21 Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Dec 21, 2008, at 1:13 PM, puller puller wrote:

> In a correct behavior, my NIC should remain connected to the network
> even if I set it to monitor mode?

In the *ideal* behavior, your network adapter would remain connected
to the network even if it's in monitor mode.

Whether a particular adapter can support that in its firmware (if it
has firmware) is another matter; it might be that some drivers *can't*
support that because the adapter doesn't support that.

> So what I should try to do is to reconnect to my network once I have
> set the NIC to monitor mode?

You could try, but there's no guarantee that it'll succeed - it might
be that the adapter or its driver won't support being connected to a
network while you're in monitor mode.

Thank you again!
Now it's clear what I'll have to look for.
Greetings.