Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark on Ubuntu with IWL3945 captures only management

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:22:07 -0800

On Dec 21, 2008, at 1:13 PM, puller puller wrote:

In a correct behavior, my NIC should remain connected to the network even if I set it to monitor mode?

In the *ideal* behavior, your network adapter would remain connected to the network even if it's in monitor mode.

Whether a particular adapter can support that in its firmware (if it has firmware) is another matter; it might be that some drivers *can't* support that because the adapter doesn't support that.

So what I should try to do is to reconnect to my network once I have set the NIC to monitor mode?

You could try, but there's no guarantee that it'll succeed - it might be that the adapter or its driver won't support being connected to a network while you're in monitor mode.