Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] about next sequence number in TCP head

From: "Bo Xu" <xubo.leo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:00:33 +0800

Hello Harris , thank you very much .

I have found the TCP application are implying these N+M rule .

In RFC793 , which part clearly decribes this rule ?

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:52 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 18, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Bo Xu wrote:
> Can somebody tell me  which document  or RFC includes this
> mechanism  ?

It's sort of implied by RFC 793 - the "next sequence number" of a TCP
segment, which is computed by Wireshark as a convenience to the user,
is the sequence number that would be used for the first byte of data
following that segment.  As sequence numbers are assigned, well,
sequentially, and as they count bytes, if the sequence number of a TCP
segment is N, and the segment has M bytes of data in it, the sequence
number of the first byte of data following that segment would be N+M.