Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Ethernet flow control

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 17:41:27 -0500
Jake Peavy wrote:
Thanks Jaap,

I should probably start off by saying that I'm not sure I understand flow control completely; I'm a little out of my depth.

I've also tried capturing off the full duplex 10/100 switch, but don't see them there either.

Should I just be able to look for eth.type == 0x8808 in order to see flow control information or do I need to look inside the Frame/Ethernet headers?

I did look at the sample capture: http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Ethernet_Pause_Frame.cap <http://wiki.wireshark.org/SampleCaptures?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Ethernet_Pause_Frame.cap> but I'm not sure if that's what to expect. If it is, and if they're there, I'm definitely not seeing them.

Thanks again,
-jp

My "taking a step back" question:

I'm curious as to what leads you to believe that you're
"running into an issue caused by one device sending PAUSE frames onto the wire and impairing the bandwidth delivered by the upstream switch".

Bill