Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture analysis

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:20:12 -0800

On Dec 2, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Martin Visser wrote:

Just remember, Wireshark is much like a stethoscope to a cardiac surgeon. Unfortunately to become a cardiac surgeon you need lots of training and experience to understand what the stethoscope is telling you!

Well, to be fair, a stethoscope can be used by a family doctor/general practitioner or a nurse or a physician's assistant or... - you still need some level of technical knowledge to use one, but you don't have to be a cardiac surgeon or cardiologist.

So you don't have to be, for example, a network protocol developer to use Wireshark, but you do need *some* level of understanding of the network protocols.