Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why so much SMB traffic?

From: "Martin Visser" <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:40:32 +1100
Because this is the way modern operating systems and apps work ;-)

Seriously, a lot of applications need to determine what is the appropriate configuration or system file to use to perform a function. Unless the location is hard-coded they will have some of hierarchical order to navigate in order to determine the best option. For instance Wireshark itself determines whether the user has their own config file, the system has a global configuration file or whether their is no configuration. In order to find whether these files exists it needs to enumerate through the possible locations in order. Thus if you could look at your PC system calls when it starts wireshark you might see similar pairs of "Does this file exist" questions and "No it doesn't" answers.

The same goes for network aware applications. DNS, the protocol by which names resolve to IP addresses is a classic example. Many DNS request will result in either no answer or negative answer as a client tries to determine where it can find the service it is look ing for.

For your specific example, googling indicates that TM_CFW.sys is assocated with Trend Micro, the anti-virus program. I suspect the  configuration is such that on Steve's machine, because he has a home drive or roaming profile, then when TM starts it looks to see if a more recent version of the file exists on the network  (rather than on the local machine). Not finding it, I guess it just uses the local file. Not knowing anything about the way TM works (or much about Windows roaming profiles either) I am only speculating.

So in summary, network queries resulting in negative answers (or even no answers) are a normal part of an application trying to get an optimum running solution - effectively discovering what is out there. However clearly it is also an opportunity to examine whether the application has been deployed or configured optimally. For example, many years ago I was asked to examine why network login times were so slow on remote office PCs. After using ethereal (it was ~2000) if found misconfigured DNS suffixes, meaning there were lots of redundant queries, as well as attempts to resolve from WINS, Novell NDS and I think even Netbeui broadcasts. The whole process of finding the correct login server took around 45 seconds because of the need to weave through all this mechanisms (and either wait for negative answers or simply timeout).

Wireshark will show you what is happening, but you will likely need to chase up information resources specific to the app or OS to determine what is appropriate. (And unfortunately too few app/OS vendors publish explicit information on this)

Regards, Martin