Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP/UDP ports

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:30:37 -0800

On Nov 10, 2008, at 4:54 PM, John Trumbell wrote:

Sorry I found it listed on the following known ports list. http://seifried.org/security/ports/

In that list, I think by "Source" they mean "this is the reference that told us that XXX uses port YYY", not "this is the thing that uses port YYY", i.e. on

	http://seifried.org/security/ports/index.php?port_number=1060

they're saying "Wireshark 1.0 claims that port 1060 is used by polestar", not "Wireshark 1.0 uses port 1060".

In fact, Wireshark 1.0 is merely parroting what the IANA's port number assignments list:

says, just as tons of UN*Xes do (and Windows might do as well); various editions of that list are used as /etc/services on various UN*Xes, and Wireshark has its own version of that file.

As with most TCP ports, there is no guarantee that the software/ protocol/whatever listed is the software/protocol/whatever that's using it on your network, so there's no guarantee that POLESTAR, whatever that is, is using port 1060 on your network, nor that "lupa" is using port 1212.

I've sent Kurt Seifried mail saying he should probably credit the IANA, not Wireshark, as the source for those entries.