Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Intermittent Performance Problems on Intranet

From: "Ryan Zuidema" <Ryan.Zuidema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:13:14 -0700

Spiro,

Yes that is exactly what Wireshark is good for, and for a beginner that is an excellent place to start. You will want to capture off of a mirrored/span port to begin with if possible. Running a live capture on the server could use up more resources, and potentially give you a false reading. If you have to capture on the server, you will need to run a simultaneous capture on an affected client as well.

Take a capture and pay attention to the timing between request and response from the server.

Ryan Zuidema