Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Captured G.711 and exporting to wav questions

From: "Don McKinnon - AST" <dmckinnon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:51:04 -0500
We are troubleshooting an IP PBX that is having echo issues with a PSTN Gateway.  We're using wireshark to capture the packets and have exported the G.711 audio to a wav file, then we're using Adobe Audition to review the wav files.  However we have questions related to the G.711 levels and the wav conversion as we do not have a method of inserting a known G.711 signal for calibration:

When exporting is performed is the G.711 Mu-Law digital full scale (DFS) equal to the wav file DFS we see with Adobe Audition?

If so, then G.711 0 dBm0 would be 3.14 dB below DFS, but is this -3.14 dB peak or the rms value (we are thinking peak since it's related to DFS)?

Hopefully we are asking the correct questions here.  If anyone can assist with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Don