Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Multicast problem

From: Lars Lars <laasunde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:32:21 +0100
Just a quick update.

Here are some observations:

Running server application and running wireshark but not listening to any adapter - no multicasts are received on the server.

Running server application and just opening Capture -> Interface... to show "Wireshark. Capture Interfaces" - this triggers the server application to receive multicast packets. I'm only showing the dialog window - not using it. By closing the window the server stops receiving the multicasts.

Running server application and opening Capture -> Options... in wireshark select correct adapter and disabled promiscues mode - click Start and then the server starts to receive multicast messages. By stoping the capture then the server stops receiving multicasts. Tried enabling and disabling various settings within Wireshark: Capture options dialog window but it does not seem to affect the behaviour - it seems, regardless of mode or settings by listening to the adapter the server receives the multicasts.

Can anyone shed some light on what wireshark does to 'cause' the behaviour I am describing.

Thank you