Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] TPKT traffic identification

From: robertp <sirex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:59:32 +0000
lo all,

I'm writing a C++ app that decodes packets off the wire and from pcap
files, using Wireshark to check my work as i go.

I have a packet with headers: IP->TCP->TPKT->Q931->H225

The TPKT header is tripping me up. It's 4 bytes, with a structure of:

1: Version
2: Reserved
3+4: Length

There's no information in the header itself that identifies it as a TPKT
header. However, Wireshark correctly identifies this header, even when
captured (as in this case) on a different port from the standard 102 for
TPKT traffic.

Does anyone know how Wireshark does this ? In terms of packet
structure / bytes.

Thanks in advance